Why I Ride (repost)
This is one of my ♥ favorite essays
- It’s fun.
- The first thing my wife ever said to me was “do you know any good bike rides?”
- It saves money. (My family saves $6000 a year with one less car.)
- Um, because it’s fun?
- It’s good exercise. (My daily commute burns 600 calories — enough to offset 2 beers and a donut.)
- No hassles with parking, traffic jams, or road rage.
- My kids love it.
- It connects me to my community, neighborhood, and city.
- Duh, because it’s FUN.
- Save the Earth, blah blah, zero emissions, blah blah, carbon dioxide, blah blah blah.
- And did I mention the fun?
I cannot overemphasize the fun.
If cars ran on tap water and emitted pure sweet oxygen; if I never needed exercise; if I could drive from door to door with zero traffic — I would still ride my bike to work.
Because it is fun.