Which occasioned me to reflect that this year is my twenty year high school reunion.
The year I graduated from college:
- The big summer movies were Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade, the first Batman movie (with Michael Keaton), and the Abyss. Only the Abyss used computer special effects to any great degree, and then only in one scene.
- John McTiernan filmed Hunt for Red October because the Soviet Union represented a safely evergreen nuclear threat.
- There were two Germanys and one Czechoslovakia.
- China was a hermitic third-world country with a troublesome democracy movement.
- There was no World Wide Web. The industry where I have made my career did not yet exist.
- Futurists like John Naisbitt and Alvin Toffler thought industries like finance, media and publishing would lead the new Information Economy.
- HS advisors said journalism was a solid career choice for the future.
- Cell phones cost about $3/minute to use, and weighed about a pound.
- Colleges would accept neatly-handwritten application essays.